National General Insurance
The underwriting manager is responsible for the direct supervision of underwriters and underwriting assistants within assigned team. This role will monitor the status of the fleet and non-fleet underwriting queues to ensure that all SLA s are met and good service is provided to all internal and external customers. The underwriting manager will be responsible for coordinating and conducting the training and development of all team members. This role will maintain relationships with other functional areas within the company including Claims, Sales, Customer Service, Operations, and IT. The underwriting manager ensures that existing products are implemented and executed based on individual state strategies as documented in the underwriting guidelines. The underwriting manager will utilize data and produce reports to monitor and report on the current state of the work load and to ensure that work is evenly distributed amongst the team. The underwriting manager will maintain relationships with top 20 agents and participate in agency management discussions with product and sales. The underwriting manager may take on primary underwriting responsibilities for complex risks or be designated to be the primary underwriter on fleet accounts. This role will also assist in the underwriting of individual files when referral volume is heavy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
* Supervise a team of underwriters and underwriting assistants which includes evaluating performance of team and assisting with other staffing decisions and planning.
* Train and mentors Processing and Phone teams as new and/or revised procedures are implemented, and train and mentors less experienced staff/personnel and/or Territory Sales Managers (TSMs) and agents
* Identifies strategic opportunities for growth and profitability by analyzing current procedures and guidelines
* Work collaboratively with the Marketing Department and Commercial Product Managers and Analysts to accomplish growth and profit objectives
* Communicates underwriting guidelines, philosophies, and decisions with Pricing, Marketing, Compliance, etc. and generates ideas & facilitate automation for the Commercial product.
* Develop and analyze both internal and external data in order to provide key input to Pricing and Marketing by analyzing the quality of agents business through profile reviews, audits, and ongoing communication with Pricing, Marketing, and PS&S
* Help to determine actions needed for agent rehabilitation
* Utilize performance evaluation to perform underwriting audits including conducting file reviews to ensure adherence with underwriting guidelines and direction.
* Participates in annual agent reviews with Pricing and Marketing. Assist the TSMs with Agency audits.
* Perform risk reviews and upfront underwriting reviews to determine risk acceptability (new business, renewals, reinstatements)
* Serve as point of contact for some exceptions (UW s, agents, sups, TSM, Pricing, Marketing, Etc.)
* Provide input into product decisions and procedures with significant involvement with underwriting and processing of new business and renewals
* Prepare reports for various channels and departments and participate in meetings as necessary
* Possess a significant knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations applicable to the use of commercial vehicles and act a subject matter expert for both agents and underwriters.
MINIMUM SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor s Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
* 2 years Supervisory experience
* 7 years of commercial auto underwriting experience.
* Ability to establish and maintain agency relationships, identify profitable opportunities, and able to assist in leveraging business opportunities for other divisions.
* Ability to effectively manage a book of business.
* Proficient in evaluating agencies for new business potential.
* Expertise in underwriting policies, procedures and best practices.
* Thorough understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company.
* Effective leadership and diplomacy skills; must be able to coach and mentor others
* Strong analytical skills
* Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and timeliness in order to meet customer service expectations
* Ability and desire to learn and effectively use computer based underwriting systems to manage workflow
* Expertise with forms and commercial insurance coverages.
* Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
* Expertise is specialized subject matter
* Experience supervising and training Underwriters
* Insurance professional designations such as IIC, CPCU, AU, and/or ARM,
* MBA or graduate degree in Marketing, Finance, or Law
* Advanced PC skills, Word, Power point, Excel
* Project management experience
ABOUT NATIONAL GENERAL HOLDINGS:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
* Paid Training
* Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
* Wellness Programs
* Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
* 401k w/ Company Match
* Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
* Employee Discount Program
* Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
* On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
* On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
* Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess
Jobs by State
Want to be a sponsor?
We believe there's more to auto insurance than coverages and claims. At National General Insurance, we start with experience – yours. We're guided by your unique needs, translated into the policy that works best for you, your family and the vehicles you drive. Our job? To give you the benefits of our experience. More than 60 years of it, grounded in the automotive industry. We take pride in the insurance products and services we offer, designed to give you the best possible auto insurance coverage – affordably – from your first car to your 21st. We are committed to your complete satisfaction. And if you do need to make a claim, we'll handle it as quickly, professionally and gently as we can. We don't just want to “get” your business. We want to keep it.