What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
With more than 40 years of experience in the medical professional liability insurance industry Markel is a trusted leader and underwriter of healthcare insurance products and services for a wide spectrum of organizations. Markel supplies industry-proven malpractice coverage for healthcare organizations (including hospitals, senior care facilities, and allied healthcare facilities) and medical providers (physicians, surgeons, dentists, etc.) As the medical industry has advanced and changed Markel has created products to meet the needs of the unique healthcare facilities that have emerged as well of the healthcare professionals who practice in them.
The individual we seek will be a world-class retail and wholesale healthcare insurance industry expert to serve as a national resource to the product line leadership, underwriting teams and Markel brokers and customers. This new position will serve a critical role in the development of the Healthcare value proposition with a focus on delivering healthcare industry insights to the underwriting team and developing/promoting our risk management/loss control capabilities. S/he will perform a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines and in partnership with Markel's national leadership.
More specifically the Sr. Director will
* Conduct exposure analysis and segment research to improve underwriting insights, evaluate product development opportunities and support underwriting guideline development
* Gather and analyze competitor information, stay abreast of healthcare liability insurance trends and monitor legal and regulatory changes in order to provide input into product development decisions
* Work with the product line leadership to develop a comprehensive risk management value proposition and suite of service offering to support our customers
* Evaluate and develop relationships with third party risk consulting firms to support the healthcare value proposition; Coordinate and execute delivery of large account risk service engagements
* Develop thought leadership (internally and externally) content through white papers, speaking engagements, etc.; attend conferences and other industry events as an ambassador for the Markel Healthcare Risk Solutions team
* Conduct portfolio analysis with product line leadership, actuary and claims to understand loss drivers and appropriate underwriting actions
* Provide leadership, direction, training and development to underwriting teams
* Capitalize on existing relationships and build new relationships with key national medical brokers
* Develop and maintain relationships with internal business partners (Actuarial, Product Developments, Claims, IT, Regulatory, etc.)
* Build strong relationships with underwriting executives, management and affiliated business units within Markel to produce a portfolio that supports the underwriting production goals of the product line and leverages the underwriters' knowledge base and relationships to increase production and retention levels
* Promote Markel's medical product offerings to producers in conjunction with regional and product line leadership marketing plans
* Enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment, an environment based upon the Markel Style.
* 15 years of current medical professional liability retail/wholesale insurance industry experience or other relevant experience
* Undergraduate degree. A graduate degree, which adds to the candidate's knowledge and/or skill base, would be viewed as a definite plus as would industry designations;
* Demonstrated knowledge of the healthcare industry and delivery system and the risk management needs of healthcare providers
* Successful history of marketing, sales and/or underwriting experience in working directly with producers on complex risks;
* Possess existing relationships with medical professional liability focused brokers and agents in wholesale and retail risks at a national level;
* Broad understanding of underwriting, claims and actuarial and functions;
* Enjoy a highly matrixed environment;
* Exceptional verbal and written presentation skills;
* Detail oriented, organized and able to handle multiple projects in a rapidly changing environment;
* High energy, proactive self-starter with a strong sense of urgency
* Flexible and spontaneous;
* A hands on team player;
* Willing to travel 50% nationally.
Why work for us?
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.