The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.
Job ID #
Full - Time
3 - 5 Years
Add to Job Cart
The Hanover is seeking a Marine Underwriter to join our growing team in our Northeast Region. This person will be based in Boston, MA or elsewhere in the Northeast near a Hanover office.
The Marine Underwriter will develop and maintain Agency relationships. Solicit New Business. Evaluate, underwrite and price inland marine business submitted to the company within company parameters and guidelines Assists with training and development of team members.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Develop and execute effective territory business plans
- Territory management: manage to established loss ratio targets, growth, and mix of business targets
- Agency management: manage agents in designated territory to ensure that targets for new business, renewal retention, loss ratio, and mix of business are achieved
- Business cultivation: seek out new opportunities with existing agents as well as new agency appointments Market Inland Marine products and the Hanover Inland Marine value proposition
- Underwrite inland marine business within authority guidelines. Communicate underwriting decisions effectively to agencies and clients
- Perform financial statement analysis
- Confer/coordinate activities with other branch department
- Assist w/ training and development of team members Key Measures of Success
- New business development/production
- Renewal retention
- Achievement of loss ratio targets
- Support and promotion of enterprise initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- 5 years related experience
- Broad underwriting principles, practices, procedures
- Strong technical expertise in the underwriting of marine coverages
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong sales focus and marketing perspective
- BA/BS or equivalent
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes. The Hanover Insurance Group will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed Employment Agency Agreement already on file with Human Resources - The Office of Talent Management.
Back to top
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.
Website : http://www.hanover.com
Welcome to the Partnership Portal for Winning Agents. Here you’ll discover our intense focus on product innovation, national strength with a regional approach, unparalleled responsiveness, a commitment to on-going education, and our true dedication to partnering with the best. This is a value proposition you cannot refuse. The Hanover Promise: We offer a commitment to true Agency Partnership creating franchise value through selective distribution. By providing our products and services to only a selective group of Agents, we’ve created an opportunity for those Agents to offer more to their customers. You won’t find a more intense focus on distinctive product innovation than with The Hanover. We invest unprecedented amounts of relevant products designed for individuals, families, and businesses. This enables our Agents to grow exponentially and write “the total account.” Responsiveness and expertise are paramount to our approach. From streamlined quote processes, first contact resolution and a customer service center to local decision authority, an easy-to-use POS system, account triage, unsurpassed marketing tools, and on-going education and training, our Agents are equipped for success.